Skip to Content

Deer River man charged with murder in child’s death, $2 million bail set

ITASCA COUNTY, MN– Bail has been set at $2 million for a Deer River man charged with allegedly murdering his girlfriend’s 4-year-old child.

Kevin Daniel Jackson, 28, was charged in Itasca County Court Friday morning.

According to court documents, officers received a report of a child not breathing and unresponsive at a residence in Inger, Minnesota around 5:07 p.m. Wednesday.

Authorities say the child’s mother and, eventually, first responders adminstered CPR, but the child was pronounced dead.

While administering CPR, officers noted bruising near the child’s eyes. Life Flight Medical personnel told officers that the child may have been suffocated.

According to court documents, through a series of interviews, including with the child’s uncle, officials learned Jackson had been staying at the mother’s home for the past several days.

In an interview with authorities, the child’s uncle said he had been in his bedroom around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday when he heard the child crying. The uncle said he walked out of the room and saw the child face down on the couch covered in a blanket.

The uncle told authorities that Jackson was standing over the child wearing rubber gloves. The uncle said Jackson swore, and took off the gloves. At that point, the uncle said he went back into his room.

A short time later, the uncle heard the child crying again. He apparently left his bedroom to find Jackson holding the child. The uncle said he, again, went back into his bedroom.

According to court documents, the uncle told authorities that around 5 p.m. that night, he heard the child’s mother screaming at Jackson, asking what happened.

The uncle said he saw the child on the floor and the child’s mother attemping to perform CPR. She eventually took the child outside and continued performing CPR until first responders arrived.

While that was happening, the uncle told authorities that Jackson was in the living room, acting weird and screaming. According to the uncle, Jackson then left the house.

Deputies eventually found Jackson at a neighbor’s house sitting on a trampoline and screaming.

Authorities spoke with Jackson, who told them he was living at a treatment facility and had been staying at the child’s mother’s home the past few days.

Jackson was arrested and taken to jail.

In a subsequent interview with the child’s mother, she apparently admitted to authorities that she and Jackson had used meth the night before the child’s death.

She told authorities that she slept most of the day.

She added that when Jackson got into bed with her around 4 p.m., he was crying and said he was sorry.

According to court documents, she thought that was weird, so she went upstairs. She apparently found her son lying on the living room couch, wrapped in blankets. She told authorities she unwrapped him, saw that his lips were blue, started CPR, and called 911.

According to the medical examiner, the child had several injuries, including: petechial hemorrhages in both the eyes and face, an abrasion on the nose, and bruising on the neck.

Jackson has a lengthy criminal history. According to court documents, he’s been convicted of two felonies, such as unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and controlled substance crime in the fifth degree.

He’s also been convicted of several assault and drug misdeameanors.

Records also show that Jackson was on probation for a 2015 drug offense, and has failed to attend several court-ordered treatments.

According to court documents, he has violated probation nine times.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Briggs LeSavage

Skip to content