DULUTH, MN — It’s National Assisted Living Week, and the Benedictine Living Community in Duluth is doing their part to celebrate.
‘A Spark of Creativity’ is this year’s theme, which hopes to inspire residents to tap into their creative side.
Polka Fest was Tuesday’s event. It gave residents a chance to get outside and enjoy some music.
Staff say these week long events are a good way to get the residents out and about with different types of activities.
Tracy Pavlatos, the Wellness Director states, “We bring extraordinary events and we try to do something that we dont do in everyday activity programming I guess so we kinda make it more exciting and celebrate that we are assisted living and its recognized nationally.”
The residents say they enjoy the change of pace the week of events brings to their community.
“I love this; oh the Music, I’m from out in western Duluth so I kinda grew up with this kinda music. I am very happy here.” said Ellie Westin, a resident of Benedictine Living Community.
National Assisted Living week is a chance for residents, staff, and volunteers to recognize the role these homes play in caring for seniors and individuals with disabilities.
Events will run through Saturday, and you can find the full list below:
Wednesday Sept. 11th:
· 10:00 am – Coffee with Donuts from a Dozen Excuses in Maple Dining Room
· 2:00 pm – Beer and Wine tasting party in the afternoon with hors de’ vours featuring craft beer and cider flights for our residents to sample in Sr. Mariella’s Garden (weather permitting if not Evergreen Dining Room)
Thursday Sept. 12th
· 11:00 am to 1:00 pm – Outdoor picnic for Westwood and Westwood Terrace in Sr. Mariella’s Garden with entertainment by the “Out of Towners”.
· Marywood will be hosting their own picnic on the patios at Marywood.
· 2:30 pm – Double or Nothing Bingo in Evergreen Dining Room
Friday Sept. 13th
· BHC and Housing communities planned an Art Show displaying residents in our community creative touches and will be displayed in the BHC lobby from 9:00 am to noon.
· 10:30 am – Dr. Carter Vosen from CSS on ‘Diversity of Religion’.
· 1:30 pm Carnival gameswith BLCD preschool in Sr. Mariella’s Garden (weather permitting if not Evergreen Dining Room)