Skip to Content

UPDATE: Esko students return to class following evacuation

UPDATE: Fire officials say they now know why carbon monoxide levels rose at the Esko School Monday morning.

According to officials, a water heater malfunction caused the levels to rise, which then caused students to evacuate across the street to St. Matthew’s Church.

Students were able to return to class around 10:45 a.m. Monday morning.

Officials say they will be replacing the malfunctioning water heater.

ESKO, MN– Esko school officials say students have been evacuated because of what the district called “higher than average” levels of carbon monoxide detected in the district’s school building.

According to an email from the Esko School District, students have been safely evacuated, and are currently at St. Matthew’s Church, which is right across the street from Esko Schools.

The School District says everyone is safe, and emergency officials and school administrators are investigating.

No word on when students will be able to return to class.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

CeCe Gaines

Multimedia Journalist

Skip to content