Skip to Content

Duluth residents tried saving man from fatal fire

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

DULUTH, MN -- Residents attempted to save an unconscious man from a burning apartment complex Tuesday morning.

Crews responded to the fatal fire in Duluth's East Hillside neighborhood.

The fire broke out on the first floor in the unit where the victim was staying as a guest.

A spokesperson for the fire department says their investigation leads them to believe that the unit's door was cracked, which is how residents saw him lying there.

Residents were able to pull him out of the building and tried to save him.

Emergency responders took over when they arrived, but the victim later died at the hospital.

"Obviously a very caring group of individuals that wanted to make sure they could help if they could, and it sounded like they did the very best that they could given the circumstances," said the City of Duluth's Public Information Officer Kate Van Daele.

The spokesperson said the fire alarms were working in the building and helped alert residents.

More information on the cause of the fire is expected to be released later this week.

Duluth, MN-- A man is dead after an overnight fire in Duluth's East Hillside neighborhood, according to a press release.

The Duluth Fire Department responded to an eight-unit apartment building on East 3rd Street just after 2:30 a.m.

When crews arrived, smoke was coming from the first and second floors, and tenants were attempting live-saving efforts on an unconscious man. Rescue crews then took over life-saving efforts.

Shortly after, the man was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The man's name is being withheld at this time and his death is under investigation.

Fire crews eventually knocked the fire down from the outside and continued to fight the fire up the stairs. They also cut a hole into the roof to stop the fire from spreading across the roof.

The fire was under control in 20 minutes.

Damages are estimated at $75,000, and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

The Red Cross provided resources to those who were displaced.

This is the second fire fatality from a structure fire this year.

The first death happened on April 5 at a Lincoln Park structure fire.

Before then, the last fire fatality happened in 2017.

CeCe Gaines

Multimedia Journalist

Skip to content