Can of Worms Project Construction Underway
I-35 in both directions: Between 27th Avenue West and Mesaba Avenue, the roadway is reduced to one lane until August 9.
I-35 in Duluth at the 27th Avenue West bridge, daytime lane closures due to bridge reconstruction for the Twin Ports Interchange project.
No restrictions on weeknights, weekends, and Holiday weekends.
Loads wider than 12′ can call for District approval.
July 27 – 29
- MnDOT maintenance crews will be cleaning the I-35 tunnels in Duluth for this three-day stretch.
- Closures will be in effect from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in both left and right lanes and on northbound and southbound I-35 as the operation moves through the area.
Monday, Aug. 2
- Southbound I-35 to northbound Highway 53 will close. The signed detour will follow southbound I-35 to 40th Avenue West, to Haines Road, to Highway 53.
- Northbound I-535 to northbound Highway 53 will close. The signed detour will follow northbound I-535 to Garfield Avenue, to Lower Piedmont, to West 1st Street, to 21st Avenue West, to northbound Highway 53.
- Access to southbound I-35 from West Superior Street will be closed.
- A temporary traffic signal will be in operation at the intersection of Railroad Street and Garfield Avenue as of Thursday, July 29.
Monday, Aug. 2
- CN Railroad will be closing the Highway 37 crossing in Clinton Township, St. Louis County at 8 a.m. for renewing the crossing.
- The highway will be closed at the crossing only and a signed detour will be in place.
- The road is expected to be open by Saturday, Aug. 7, afternoon.
Check MnDOT 511 before traveling for information on road conditions, closures, and detour routes.
Twin Ports Interchange Hotline: 218-343-3748
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
· Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
· Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
· Watch for workers and slow-moving equipment.
· Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
· Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
· Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.