Man dies after being infected with flesh-eating bacteria

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee man died this week after being infected with a flesh-eating bacteria during a trip to a Florida beach.

According to news reports, the man became ill shortly after returning from vacation in Destin Beach where he was visiting family for the 4th of July.

Cheryl Wiygul, the man’s daughter, says the family discovered that a large sore had developed on her dad’s back once they had returned home, as well as red bumps on his arms and legs. The man died on July 7, just 48 hours after his last swim in Florida.

Wiygul added that while her dad didn’t have any open cuts or wounds, he did have a compromised immune system due to cancer treatments and that may have put him at greater risk.

Associated Press

Associated Press

More News

Your Forecast Now

Superior
71°
Ashland
70°
Hayward
68°
Hibbing
International Falls
67°
Grand Marais
Ironwood
70°
Storms end Monday night, calmer Tuesday ahead

Storms end Monday night, calmer Tuesday ahead

MONDAY NIGHT: A low and its fronts tangling with the heat of the day have created severe storms over much

Click for forecast details...
CONNECT WITH CBS 3
top stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content